Saturday, January 02, 2010

I Resolve

According to the rest of the world, this is going out a day late. All I can say is that sometimes these things take time. So, January 2nd just around 1 in the afternoon (Mountain Standard Time) I am writing this. I suppose it is my New Year's Resolution.

It is an odd ritual, the making of resolutions. People pick an arbitrary day in the Solar year and make a statement that they will strive to Eat Better, or Exercise Regularly; Work Harder, or Play Smarter; Succeed More or Fail Less. And then they declare that they will begin doing these things promptly tomorrow, because right now they are enjoying themselves.

For me a decade has just ended that began with me in High School (grade 11). 10 years ago I fell in love with the woman I am now married to and having a child with. This year will see me a father (something I certainly didn't see coming back then). This year is going to be a bumpy ride for us as we figure out how to raise a kid, pay for bills, and be a family. This is something I've been trying to wrap my head around for the past few months.

So, today, despite the miasma of vague illness and the remnants of Holiday Funk that linger, I am resolved: I want to make this year, more than ever, something to remember and something to be proud of. And I know I can. I can see it.

I had one of those wonderful moments of clarity. You know the ones. Things snap into place, or shift into focus and you can see clearly. You are renewed with energy; are given a purpose and direction. A moment where you start off reflecting on things that have passed and suddenly it all seems to fit.

It just resolves.

Happy New Year. Blessings and Fortune to us all. Make 2010 a year to remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment